Senior Big Data Metrics Software Engineer
Elsevier is in the midst of a transformation and technology is simultaneously at the forefront and the driving force. Our innovative technology platforms and smart content solutions operate at the cutting edge of big data, semantic web and cloud technology, enabling faster more effective critical decision-making daily across the globe. As a member of the Elsevier Research Metrics development team, you’ll be working with a group of passionate product managers and developers, all focused on defining the next generation of scholarly impact metrics. We offer a fun, rapid development environment, where innovation and shipping real code are highly valued.
The Role: We are seeking a talented and self-motivated Senior Big Data Engineer who understands data automation and best practices to insure overall data quality. This role will engage in large dataset analysis including pattern discovery, error detection, inadequate normalization and duplication detection with the goal of improved data matching and metric accuracy. You will work closely with our QA team, data acquisition and metric processing architects and developers. The ability to develop tools for both analysis and remediation will be key to the successful execution of this role.
In this unique opportunity you will be joining a partially distributed agile team working from our US technology hub in our open, engaging, newly renovated Philadelphia offices. In this growth infused, career opportunity you will contribute to the creation and accuracy of a set of robust research metrics to help internal and external customers’ measure research impact and performance. The metrics will be used across all of Elsevier’s products and platforms. You will be working in an environment constructed with the sole purpose of encouraging creativity and collaboration.
What we offer: We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment with great opportunities for personal development.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a leading role in changing the way that data based products are delivered within the company, devising and implementing a modern approach to software engineering that enables people throughout the company to take advantage of one of the world’s broadest collections of scientific literature. You will be enthusiastic about engineering quality and be interested in sharing good practices within the team and the company as a whole. We expect the successful candidate to work in a close-knit, cross-division team, forming a coherent unit with colleagues from product, technology, project management, etc.
- Developing tools and methods for analyzing a large and unique collection of scientific data.
- Develop tools to aide in the remediation of data and metric issues
- Work with a UI developer to add tools to our internally facing suite for other team members to use.
- Work with data/metric acquisition and processing architects and developers to improve processes with the goal of producing more accurate results.
- Integrate with wider systems to make accurate data and metrics easily available to other Elsevier products.
The ideal candidate would:
- Be interested in working for a global organization known for doing good things around the world.
- Possess a desire to work within an advanced tech stack including AWS and Cloud based computing while surrounded by a brilliant set of technologists.
- Own data analysis and accuracy for all Research Metrics produced within Elsevier.
- Have a disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance.
- Engage in a positive, constructive approach with an emphasis on collaboration and good execution.
- Extensive software development experience
- Experience processing and analyzing large datasets
- 5+ years developing and deploying large scale, high-performance distributed systems
- 5+ years’ experience with both SQL and No-SQL stores such as MongoDB or Cassandra
- Experience with Index and Search technologies such as ElasticSearch or Solr would be utilized as well
- Experience with Spark or the Hadoop ecosystem and similar frameworks
- Excellent communication skills that enable you to work with distributed teams across multiple time zones
- Agile experience with Scrum and the use of Jira, Confluence and continuous build and integration systems such as Bamboo
- Experience with agile engineering practices such as TDD, Paired Programming, Continuous Integration, automated testing and deployment
Desired skills include
- Experience with Java in a Unix environment
- Experience with AWS
- Proficient working with Git
- Experience with Scala, Python or R
Please view the below video to learn more about Elsevier https://www.elsevier.com/about/this-is-elsevier#digital
IT/Technical & Product Development
Closing Date (Period for Applying) – External
Plum™ Analytics, helps answer questions about the impact of research so funders, researchers, librarians, administrators, and publishers have up-to-date and comprehensive information. Whether you are performing, funding or monitoring research, Plum Analytics provides accurate and timely information through their PlumX product. For more information visit www.plumanalytics.com. The Plum product development team is a distributed, agile team. We allow folks to work remotely, in the environment where they can be most effective. Our award-winning PlumX product, is changing the way that scholarship is measured.