Senior Software Engineer
With a rich history spanning 130 years, Elsevier is the fourth largest digital paid content provider in the world behind Google, Bloomberg, and China Telecom. Elsevier provides unparalleled content and innovative information solutions to facilitate scientific and medical research. Our cutting-edge technology platforms enable scientists, health professionals, and research students to make critical decisions, enhance productivity, and improve outcomes. Our award winning Digital Information Analytics help progress science, advance Healthcare and improve performance. We employee of 1100 of the world’s best technologists around the globe.
The Role: We are seeking a talented and self-motivated Senior Java Software Engineer with an interest and track record in full project life cycle software development.
In this unique opportunity, you will be joining a partially distributed agile team working from our Philadelphia offices. In this growth infused, career opportunity you will contribute to the creation of a set of robust research metrics to help internal and external customers measure research impact and performance. The metrics will be used across all of Elsevier’s products and platforms.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a role in changing the way that data based products are delivered within the company, devising and implementing a modern approach to software engineering that enables people throughout the company to take advantage of one of the world’s broadest collections of scientific literature. You will be enthusiastic about engineering quality and be interested in sharing good practices within the team and the company as a whole. We expect the successful candidate to work in a close-knit, cross-division team, forming a coherent unit with colleagues from product, technology, project management, etc.
- Work closely with a high-energy, partially distributed team.
- Large scale metrics processing, storage and retrieval. This also includes time series data and the late merging of metrics with indexed meta-data.
- Work with the data acquisition team to help develop acquisition frameworks, data storage strategies, and integration methods with our search index.
- Develop applications that exploit a unique collection of scientific data
- Building well-formed APIs and services to allow the wider Elsevier ecosystem to easily integrate with our applications.
- Integrate with wider systems to make data easily available to other Elsevier products.
- Work with engineering leads to maintain alignment with overall architecture and design patterns.
- Produce appropriate documentation as necessary.
The ideal candidate would:
- Be interested in working for a global organization known for doing good things around the world.
- Possess a desire to work within an advanced tech stack including AWS and Cloud based computing while surrounded by a brilliant set of technologists.
- Own the implementation of solutions from development through production.
- Have a disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance.
- Provide mentoring and technical leadership to junior staff.
- Engage in a positive, constructive approach with an emphasis on collaboration and good execution.
- B.S. in Computer Science (or equivalent work experience)
- 10+ years software development experience
- Experience developing and deploying large scale, high-performance distributed systems
- Experience with both SQL and No-SQL stores such as MongoDB or Cassandra
- Experience with Java and the Spring framework in a Unix environment
- Agile experience with Scrum and the use of Jira, Confluence and continuous build and integration systems such as Bamboo
- Experience with agile engineering practices such as TDD, refactoring, Continuous Integration, automated testing and deployment
- Proficient working with Git
Elsevier is a global information analytics business that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies. We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers.
Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, SciVal, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancet and Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray’s Anatomy. Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professionals and business customers across industries.
Elsevier employs over 7,000 people in more than 70 offices worldwide. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or email@example.com.
IT/Technical & Product Development
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Plum™ Analytics, helps answer questions about the impact of research so funders, researchers, librarians, administrators, and publishers have up-to-date and comprehensive information. Whether you are performing, funding or monitoring research, Plum Analytics provides accurate and timely information through their PlumX product. For more information visit www.plumanalytics.com. The Plum product development team is a distributed, agile team. We allow folks to work remotely, in the environment where they can be most effective. Our award-winning PlumX product, is changing the way that scholarship is measured.